The first edition was published as a weekly, starting on 6 September 1851, as the Huddersfield & Holmfirth Examiner, although the ‘Holmfirth’ was dropped from the title two years later. The newspaper has been published as a daily since 28 January 1871 when journalists on the title worked all weekend in order to forestall a rival and become the town’s first daily paper. Since 1999 it has been part of the Trinity Mirror group, which is now known as Reach plc and is the largest newspaper publisher in the United Kingdom.
The Examiner lays claim to a notable first in regional British journalism, as the first provincial UK newspaper to employ a woman journalist, in 1888
Contact Huddersfield Daily Examiner
|Postal address||P.O.Box A26
Queen’s Street South